Illinois Lawyer Referrals and Legal Guidance
What Makes a Great Illinois Child Custody Lawyer?
People contact us all the time to find Illinois lawyers for child custody cases and other areas of law. When we recommend an attorney, we try to suggest someone that focuses their practice on one specific area of law. This is especially important when we recommend Illinois child custody lawyers. It makes no sense to hire a lawyer that does not deal with child custody cases on a daily basis because there is too much at stake.
The decisions reached in a child custody verdict will not only affect you in the short term, but for years to come. A jack of all trades lawyer is not likely to be the best person for this job. The following are other characteristics that we think are possessed by the Illinois child custody attorneys that we recommend:
- They fight for their clients and aren't afraid to take a case to trial if needed. You want a lawyer who understands your goals and fights to achieve them. If that means going to trial, you want someone who is not afraid to put in the time and effort that a trial requires.
- They promptly return phone calls and keep their clients up to date and informed on any and all developments. You may not be their only client but you should not feel that your case is being placed on the back burner. Even if there are no developments in the case, your attorney should not let too much time pass before letting you know that and that they’re keeping an eye on it.
- They work as a team with their client to develop a strategy, whether it is for settlement or trial purposes. Your lawyer should listen to you, understand your goals and work with you to achieve them. They should also explain in plain English the pros and cons of various courses of action so that when you agree on a strategy, you understand the risks and rewards.
- The attorneys are well informed on all new case results in the constantly changing Illinois child custody laws. Your attorney should be knowledgeable about any recent case law or new statutes on the books as it could affect – negatively or positively - your case or any of the lawyers other clients. The more your lawyer knows, the better.
- The attorney realizes that there is often an emotional component attached to a child custody case. Child custody cases are naturally emotional and your lawyer should be sensitive to this and possess the right temperament for these types of matters.
- They treat their clients with respect. This includes returning phone calls, keeping you abreast of all matters and taking your goals seriously as well as speaking to you like a human being, listening to you and earning your respect in return.
These are just some of the traits that we look for before we recommend a child custody attorney or law firm in Illinois. If you have any questions about Illinois child custody and family law or would like a referral to a family law attorney please do not hesitate to contact us. All inquiries are free and confidential.
Findgreatlawyers.com is a free service, run by Illinois lawyers, to find an attorney or obtain guidance for any Illinois legal matter, including Illinois child custody cases. Please call us at (312) 346-5320 or (800) 517-1614 or fill out our contact us form and we will contact you. All inquiries are kept in strict confidence.