What Makes a Great Illinois Traffic Lawyer?
Although a traffic ticket alone will not usually result in jail time, it can result in a large fine, loss of driving privileges and/or a substantial increase in insurance costs. Jail time can occur if you are charged with a more serious traffic offense such as DUI, driving while revoked, reckless driving, etc.
As a result, if you receive any traffic ticket in Illinois, we highly recommend that you obtain an Illinois traffic defense lawyer. The only exception is if you are charged with speeding and can get supervision on your own or a municipal violation that doesn't go on your record, such as a ticket that arrives in the mail for running a red light in Chicago.
In cases where representation is needed, while hiring a lawyer does not guarantee a result, we believe that in most cases it dramatically increases your chances for success. Some of the things we advise you to look for in Illinois traffic lawyers include:
- They spend the majority of their time defending traffic and criminal charges in Illinois. You wouldn’t hire a foot doctor to work on your heart. In the same vein, you shouldn’t hire a bankruptcy attorney to defend you in traffic court. You want someone who has seen cases like yours before and who has experience practicing in this area.
- They have a lot of experience at the courthouse where the ticket will be contested. It will only benefit you to have an attorney who appears regularly at the courthouse, who knows the judges and prosecutors, who has a solid reputation with the people you are going to have to face.
- The lawyer treats the client with respect and works with the client to achieve their goals. Tell your lawyer how you would like the case to turn out. State your ideal goal. Your lawyer should take that information and respectfully explain the chances of getting that result and the work that needs to be done. While it may not always work out the way you want, you have the best chances of success with a lawyer who respects your goals and works with you to achieve them.
- They are not afraid to take a case to trial if that is needed. Some lawyers avoid trial but this does not always serve the client best. Some clients will get a better result if they don’t settle and take the case to trial. You want a lawyer who has tried cases when the circumstances call for it. Ask about those cases and trials.
- They quote a flat fee up front to handle the case from beginning to end. For most traffic cases, you do not want to pay an attorney by the hour. You want someone who has handled cases like yours before and can quote a flat free up front, as opposed to someone who will run up expensive legal fees throughout the course of the case.
- They promptly return phone calls and keep the client of any important developments. You are the customer. Your attorney should return calls and emails within a reasonable time and keep you informed of anything going on related to your case (upcoming court dates, etc).
- They give you a free consultation. You haven’t hired the attorney yet so you shouldn’t have to pay for that first meeting. A first meeting is a consultation where you talk and see if each other is the right fit. You should not be charged for this time.
These are just some of the traits that we suggest you look for before hiring an Illinois traffic defense attorney or law firm. There is no such thing as the best traffic defense lawyer, but rather we try to help you locate the best Illinois attorney for your needs. Whatever the legal area or location within the state of Illinois, we know the perfect lawyer for you. Please call us at (312) 346-5320 or (800) 517-1614 or fill out our contact us form and we will contact you. All inquiries are kept in strict confidence.